Spicy red tilapia fish cakes
Make the most of fresh fish and experience the sunny flavors of west Africa
- Recipe serves:4
- Preparation time4 min
- Cooking time20 min
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cm piece fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp paprika
- ½ Scotch bonnet chili
- 1 pinches all-purpose seasoning, (available from Asian/African stores)
- ½ tsp rock salt
- 400g white puna yams, peeled and roughly chopped
- 250g fillets of red tilapia, skinned and all bones removed
- 285 ml milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 220 g breadcrumbs
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- Sunflower oil, for frying
- 2 Royco Beef Cubes
- Combine the Royco Beef Cubes, ginger, paprika and chili and all-purpose seasoning into a food processor and blend to a paste.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil with the rock salt and cook the yam for 10 minutes, until tender.
- Drain, then roughly mash up with a potato masher.
- In a small pan, poach the tilapia in the milk and a bay leaf and a pinch of all-purpose seasoning for 5-8 minutes
- When the fish is cooked through, take off heat to cool. Flake the fish into a separate bowl.
- Add the spring onion, fish and the mixture from the food processor to the bowl of mashed yams.
- Mix well and season to taste.
- In a separate bowl beat together the eggs and a splash of milk.
- Heat a generous amount of oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Wet your hands and shape the fish mixture into patties.
- Coat in the egg mixture, then breadcrumbs and fry, in batches, until golden, crispy, and cooked through, (about 2-3 minutes per side).
- Remove and drain on paper towels.