- Recipe serves:6
- Preparation time10 min
- Cooking time10 min
- For the Filling: 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup small shrimp, fresh or frozen, shelled and de-veined
- 2 tablespoons palm oil or olive oil
- 2 cans black-eyed peas
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 small chili pepper
- Palm oil and/or vegetable oil for frying
- 2 Royco Beef Cubes
- 1-2 tablespoon of Royco Mchuzi Mix
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make filling: Slice the onion very thinly.
- Place the sliced onions in a skillet with the olive oil or palm oil, sprinkle with salt and chile powder, and cook on low heat until they are soft and golden brown (about 15 minutes).
- Add the shrimp and heat until shrimp turns pink.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Make the fritters: Thoroughly drain the black-eyed peas and place them in the food processor.
- Roughly chop the onion and garlic, and add it to the peas.
- Remove the seeds and white parts from the inside of the chili pepper and add to the processor.
- Process mixture just until very well-blended, adding a tablespoon or two of water or broth if needed.
- Add crumbled Royco Beef Cubes until the mixture is stiff enough to hold a shape.
- Divide into 15 pieces, and shape into balls or ovals with the palms of your hand.
- Heat 2 inches palm oil and/or vegetable oil in a pot on medium high heat.
- Fry several fritters at a time until browned on all sides.
- Drain fritters on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Fritters can be kept warm in a 200 degree oven.
- Split fritters in half and fill with a spoonful of the onion and shrimp mixture.
- Serve warm.