Stew recipes are ideal for hearty family feasts. Not only are they wholesome, stews are also packed with a variety of earthy goodness. If you’re feeling a little stumped on what to cook next, take a look at this Shin Stew from Royco’s assortment of dinner recipe ideas.
- Recipe serves:6
- Preparation time15 min
- Cooking time150 min
- 1 cup (250 ml) dried kidney beans
- 1 litre water
- 1 kg shin or beef slices
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 x 410 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Robertsons Barbecue Spice
- Robertsons Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1 cup (250 ml) hot water
- 2 Royco Beef Cubes
- 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) sugar
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 cup (250 ml) French beans
- Rinse the beans, place into a pot and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Brown the meat in oil, set aside and fry the onion in the same pan.
- Drain the beans and add them to the meat. Add this to the onion together with the tomatoes, Robertsons Barbecue Spice, pepper, water, Royco Stock Cube and sugar. Allow to simmer for about 1 ½ hours or until the meat is tender.
- Add the red pepper and French beans and allow to cook for a further 5 – 10 minutes until heated through.
- Serve with rice or yam.
- Tender and delicious, this Shin Stew is guaranteed to become a meal-time favourite. For more dinner ideas, recipes and cooking tips, join the WHATSFORDINNER community.