Golden Whole Roast Chicken
The lovely blend of sweet and sour flavours infused with fragrant spices makes this Whole Golden Roast Chicken the winner of our chicken dinner recipes . Paired with vegetables and the flavoursome Royco Mchuzi mix, this delicious chicken can be enjoyed as a great Sunday roast or any time you need an easy, tasty meal.
- Recipe serves:6
- Preparation time150 min
- Cooking time120 min
- 1 large chicken (broiler)
- 2 Tbsp. (30ml) of the chicken flavoured Royco Mchuzi Mix 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp. (30ml) honey
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) paprika
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) salt
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) black pepper (coarsely crushed)
- For vegetables
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 arrowroots
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) rosemary leaves
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) thyme
- 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) melted Blueband margarine
- Basting brush
- Aluminium foil
- Roasting tray
- First prepare the chicken. Chop off the neck at the base and remove the giblets. Wash and pat dry with a clean kitchen cloth.
- Place the Royco, garlic, honey, lemon juice, salt and paprika in a bowl. Mix into a smooth paste. Brush the whole chicken generously with the mixture, including the inside of the cavity. Set aside for 2 hours or allow to marinate for 1 day in the fridge.
- Preheat your oven to full heat. Truss the chicken and place it in the roasting tray.
- Place the vegetables in a bowl. Add rosemary, salt, pepper and thyme. Drizzle with the melted Blueband margarine. Toss and arrange the coated vegetables around the chicken.
- Cover the whole tray with foil. As soon as it goes in the oven, turn the heat down to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4. Cook for 2 hours or until the juices run clear. Check and baste your chicken with the juices from the pan every 30 minutes to keep it from drying out. After 1½ hours, remove the foil to allow direct heat so that the skin gets golden and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 20 minutes before serving. Serve with a side salad.