Tempura Batter for Onion Rings
This delicious recipe follows the is a typical Japanese style of cooking. The batter can be used to make cover several types of food items such as onion rings, vegetables, fish and seafood. This recipe is perfect for those who are looking to shake things up in the kitchen and attempt something slightly different than their usual dinner menu. Try it, and you will not be disappointed.
- Recipe serves:4
- Preparation time5 min
- Cooking time10 min
- 250 ml (1 cup) of sparkling water (ice cold)
- 200 g baking flour
- 1 large onion
- 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) of Royco Mchuzi Mix
- ½ tsp. (2.5 ml) of baking powder.
- 1 egg
- 500 ml (2 cups) of vegetable oil
- In a clean bowl, break in the egg and beat well.
- Add in the ice cold water and continue to beat.
- Sift the dry ingredients and add to the mixture.Mix for a short while. (do not over whisk). It is acceptable if the mixture has some lumps.
- Cut the large onion into thick rings.
- In a frying pot or fryer, bring your oil to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Dust the onion rings in some flour, then dip into the batter and pop them straight into the hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown, turning the onions over once to get even browning and crisp.
- Serve immediately.
Chef’s Tip:For a perfectly crisp texture, ensure that your water is ice cold and that your oil is at the right temperature before frying. For more exciting dinner ideas just like this one,click here.