Need a great bread recipe? Look no further. Try out this great french bread recipe (also known as baguette) to compliment your dinner tonight.
- Recipe serves:4
- Preparation time10 min
- Cooking time120 min
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ (7gm) packages active dry yeast
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 cups warm water (45 degrees C)
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast and salt.
- Stir in 2 cups warm water, and beat until well blended using a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead in enough flour to make a stiff dough that is smooth and elastic.
- Knead for about 8 to 10 minutes total. Shape into a ball. Place dough in a greased bowl, and turn once.
- Cover, and let rise in a warm place until doubled.
- Punch dough down, and divide in half.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Cover, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll each half into large rectangle. Roll up, starting from a long side.
- Moisten edge with water and seal. Taper ends.
- Grease a large baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Place loaves, seam side down, on the prepared baking sheet.
- Lightly beat the egg white with 1 tablespoon of water, and brush on.
- Cover with a damp cloth.
- Let rise until nearly doubled, 35 to 40 minutes.