PEANUT AND CHICKEN STEW
Flavoured ghanaian chicken stew laced with chilli and smoked paprika
- Recipe serves:2
- Preparation time15 min
- Cooking time70 min
- For the stew
- 3 large shallots (onions)
- 1 small thumb-sized piece ginger
- ½ - 1 Scotch bonnet chilies
- 2 chicken breast Supremes, or other cuts of chicken
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- A few sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 small jars peanut butter
- 3 ripe beef tomatoes, roughly chopped
- All purpose seasoning
- Basmati rice, to serve
- To garnish
- Finely sliced fresh chilies
- Diced cucumber
- Handful salted cashew nuts, crushed
- Finely sliced carrots
- 2 Royco Beef Cubes
- The stew:
- Combine Royco Beef Cubes, one shallot, the ginger and half the chili in a food processor and season.
- Rub into the chicken and leave to marinate in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight.
- Finely chop the remaining shallots.
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the chopped shallots and garlic for 10-15 minutes until browned.
- Stir in the cayenne, paprika, thyme and bay.
- In a food processor, blend the peanut butter and tomatoes - if you love chili, add the remaining half of the Scotch Bonnet.
- Add the mixture to the pan; bring to the boil and leave to simmer gently for 40 minutes.
- It will start to thicken and turn a deep brown color.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5.