Pilau is a dish in which rice is cooked in a seasoned broth. In some cases, the rice may also attain its brown color by being stirred with bits of cooked onion, as well as a large mix of spices.
- Recipe serves:10
- Preparation time65 min
- Cooking time20 min
- 1/2 kilo meat (cubed and cooked)
- 1 kilo rice
- 1-cup ghee Or salad oil
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 1 Thumb-nail fresh ginger root crushed
- 5 crashed cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon all spice
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 kilo of peeled potatoes
- 4 cups hot water or stock from the cooked meat
- Salt to taste
- To make sure you get lovely fluffy rice, wash it in several changes of cold water, then leave to soak for about 30 minutes in fresh cold water.
- If you don't have time for this, place in a sieve and wash under the cold tap for a minute or so.
- Cook the onion in the butter for around 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the spices, saffron and bay leaves and cook for a couple more minutes.
- The rice should have absorbed all the water and will just need fluffing up with a fork.
- Add a knob of butter before serving.