Green tomato chile verde
Need a recipe for dinner? Try this green tomato chile verde for a hearty dinner stew.
- Recipe serves:4
- Preparation time30 min
- Cooking time360 min
- 4 poblano peppers, seeded and divided
- 6 medium-size green tomatoes, divided
- garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (5-lb.) boneless pork shoulder roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Green Tomato Salsa
- 2 Royco Beef Cubes
- Chop 3 tomatoes and 1 poblano pepper, and place in a large bowl.
- Stir in cilantro, Royco Beef Cubes and next 3 ingredients.
- Process mixture, in 2 batches, in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Coarsely chop remaining tomatoes and peppers, and place in a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Trim and discard fat from pork. Cut pork into 2-inch cubes.
- Combine pork and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl, and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with flour, and toss to coat.
- Cook pork, in batches, in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place pork over tomato mixture in slow cooker.
- Pour pureed tomato mixture over pork.
- Cover and cook on LOW 6 to 7 hours or until pork is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve chile Verde with tortillas and Green Tomato Salsa.