Minty Chicken Cakes Served with Buttered Mashed Potatoes
Are you looking for tasty chicken recipes that are ideal for the whole family? These chicken cakes are sumptuous and versatile – a sure-fire way in which to satisfy hungry tummies. Served with mashed potatoes, they make the perfect dinner and, served as burgers, they make a perfect romantic picnic meal or packed lunch.
- Recipe serves:6
- Preparation time20 min
- Cooking time10 min
- ½ kg of minced chicken
- 1 small bunch of dhania, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) of grated lemon rind
- 3 tsp. (15 ml) of fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 Royco beef cubes
- 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) of lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp. (45 ml) of oil for frying
- 6 large potatoes, washed and chopped into small pieces (don’t peel)
- 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) of butter or margarine
- 1 small bunch of chives, finely chopped
- 1 extra Royco beef cube for the mashed potatoes
- 1 packet of Knorr Mushroom Sauce
- 1 cup of water (to make it thicker; use only 1/2 cup water if making this sauce for burgers)
- 5 carrots, sliced into thick strips
- For chicken burger variant:
- 6 simsim (sesame) burger rolls
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- Place the minced chicken, dhania, lemon rind and mint into a bowl. Crush the Royco beef cubes on top of the mixture. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly using a food processor or with your hands until fine and well blended.
- Shape the mixture into six patties
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Cook the patties on a medium heat for five minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, prepare the mashed potatoes. Place the chopped potatoes into a pan with water and bring to a boil until very soft. Drain and add butter (or margarine) and chives. Crush the extra beef cube in and season with a little bit of salt. Mash until smooth.
- Place the chopped carrots into the same pan that cooked the chicken patties. Season with salt and pepper and cook on a medium heat for five minutes, tossing occasionally until crunchy and browned on the edges.
- Prepare the Knorr Mushroom Sauce as per packet instructions.
- To serve, place two tablespoons of mashed potatoes onto a plate. Place a chicken burger on top and then drizzle the mushroom sauce. Serve carrots on the side of the plate.
- To make chicken burgers: Slice the rolls in two. Spread a little bit of mushroom sauce on one side. Place a chicken cake on top and finish with slices of cucumber and tomatoes.
- For more decadent chicken recipes like this one, click here.